Trusts and Estates
• B.A., Yale University, 1992
• J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1998, Public Interest Law Scholar
• LL.M. Taxation, Golden Gate University Law School, 2004
Professional & Community Affiliations:
• San Mateo County Bar Association (SMCBA)
• Silicon Valley Bar Association (SVBA)
• San Francisco Foundation (SFF) Planned Giving Advisory Committee
• California Pacific Medical Center (CPMC) Planned Giving Advisory Committee
• AIDS Legal Referral Panel, volunteer attorney and Attorney of the Year (2007)
• Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom, “Outstanding Services to the Legal Community” (2007)
• Golden Gate Business Association, Business Advocate of the Year, Individual (2006)
Alma Soongi Beck is a partner in the Trusts and Estates Group and is certified by the State Board of Legal Specialization as a specialist in estate planning, trust and probate law.
Prior to joining Lakin Spears, Alma was principal and founding attorney of The Beck Law Group, P.C. Alma’s estate planning practice focuses on revocable living trusts, wills, and powers of attorney, which includes Medi-Cal and long-term care planning, IRA Inheritance trusts, and beneficiary controlled irrevocable trusts. For unmarried and same-sex couples, she also offers consultations on the legal and tax implications of domestic partnership, marriage, and property co-ownership. Alma also assists individuals and families with trust administration, probate, and other post-death administration of property.
Alma regularly conducts public and private seminars on a variety of estate planning topics such as marriage, domestic partnership, estate planning and property issues for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) individuals, couples and families, as well as Medi-Cal, long-term care and IRA Inheritance Trust planning. In recent years, she has conducted public programs for Our Family Coalition (for LGBT parents and families), Gay Asian Pacific Alliance (GAPA), Asian Pacific Islander Queer Women and Transgender Community (APIQWTC), Openhouse (for LGBT Seniors), the National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR), Barbary Lane Senior Communities, and the Horizons Foundation. She has served on the board of Transgender Law Center, Our Family Coalition, Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom (BALiF), and the Korean American Bar Association of Northern California (KABA-NC). In addition to the schools listed above, for high school, she attended Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts (1988).